Gilbert Wesley Dukes Collection
Scope and Contents
FULL FINDING AID (PDF)
Typescripts of correspondence written during Dukes' tenure as Principal Chief of the Choctaw Nation and relating to leases, stockraising, and Choctaw schools, together with speeches, biographical information, and political writings reflecting the problems involved in the transition from tribal government to territorial and ultimately state jurisdiction.
- Creation: 1877-1905
- Dukes, Gilbert Wesley, 1849-1919 (Person)
Restrictions on Access
On June 26, 2023, the Western History Collections began a preservation project that has made many of its collections unavailable for a period of time. This collection is among the materials temporarily unavailable. Please contact Western History Collections if you wish to be added to a contact list to be notified when this collection becomes available.
Available for public access.
74 items (74 items)
Language of Materials
Ownership and Custodial History
Transferred from the Phillips Collection.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Printed material: Source of acquisition--Phillips Collection. Method of acquisition--Transferred; Date of acquisition--9999.
- McCurtain, Green, 1848-1910 (Person)
- United States. Commission to the Five Civilized Tribes (Organization)
Genre / Form
- Choctaw Indians -- Education
- Choctaw Indians -- Government relations
- Choctaw Indians -- Land tenure
- Choctaw Indians -- Legal status, laws, etc.
- Choctaw Indians -- Politics and government
- Indians of North America -- Domestic animals
- Livestock -- Indian Territory
- Livestock -- Oklahoma
- Mines and mineral resources
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Western History Collections Repository
630 Parrington Oval
Norman Oklahoma 73019 United States